Wedding rings divorce Granholm & Gynac Joliet IL

How to file for divorce when your spouse moves out of state

Filing for divorce is not as difficult as it may seem when your spouse moves out of state. This could be caused by many factors such as accepting a new job in another state or relocating for retirement, but both parties can still legally end their marriage.

The biggest question regarding this subject is usually whether the party filing for the divorce should file in their spouse’s new state or their old state. Each state has its own separate legal residency requirements regarding divorce, and the answer to this question usually depends on the divorce laws in the new state. The divorcing party should also be aware that the divorce laws in their spouse’s new state will also determine custody arrangements if children are involved.

Contact the experts at Granholm & Gynac to discuss your divorce plans with an experienced divorce lawyer and receive an expert legal opinion on the matter.

Related Posts